- What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?Lots of firsts this year…I learned to juggle two kids. We had a brand new baby boy in May and our first born turned 3 in October. And for those of you with multiple kids, you know, it’s just a learn as you go thing…will you give each of them enough attention etc, etc. We seem to be doing alright.
My husband and I had also started our own business about 2 years ago, but he also worked a 9-5 job as well. This was the year that our own business took over and he no longer works the 9-5. Fingers crossed!
Also, we entered the land of preschool! Very weird to take your child to a place and DROP THEM OFF and LEAVE and it’s not like my mom’s house or something…that took some getting used to!
- Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
It looks like these were mine from last year:Get in shape after having the baby-I DEFINITELY did this and am very proud of myself. Both my husband and myself workout regularly, eat better…all the hard stuff that you do to lose weight. We both lost about 25-30lbs.
Take More Pictures, specifically so the new baby has baby pictures-YES! I did take a lot of pictures of the new addition to our family…even though they may have just been iPhone pics. Note to self, use the better camera more often.
Get craftier-YES! I had help but I did make the baby clothes quilt that I had in sight. It took most of the year and I learned to sew by doing it! Once I had the sewing down I managed to make some of the other Tipsy gals clutch purses for Christmas and some fleece hats for the kiddos.
Keep organized along the way-Yes and No. I organized little things along the way like junk drawers and butler’s pantry and stuff like that but I also had my closet get completely unmanageable and I had to do a complete overhaul.
I think I will definitely make a couple for next year and see how that goes, maybe I’m on a roll.
- Did anyone close to you give birth?Me! And Sarah! And my sister-in-law!
- Did anyone close to you die?We had to put our little Chihuahua, Weezie, down this year. She’d been with me a while—pre-kids and pre-husband. She was feisty that one. The vet told us that she’s definitely one he will remember. I choose to believe that was because she challenged him. ha!
- What countries did you visit?None. But we did make a trip to Oklahoma to meet Danielle in person! We had a great time, thanks Danielle!!
- What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?Oh I would so love to move into a new house, we’ve completely outgrown ours. We’ll see what the future holds.
- What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?Having another baby…for obvious reasons.
- What was your biggest achievement of the year?Probably losing the weight, it was hard, but it was worth it and I want to be healthy for my family.
- What was your biggest failure?This question depresses me. I mean we all do things/say things that we look back on and think of it as being a failure, including me…especially me because I’m sort of a perfectionist. But you live and learn right? Everything is a lesson.
- Did you suffer illness or injury?DUDE. So, since my 3 year old started preschool in August it’s like this whole house has been sick umpteen times.
- What was the best thing you bought?We got an iPad this year and it has hands down been the best purchase. Officially it’s my husband’s, but my son uses it a TON and I use it EVERY now and then…I’m thinking I kinda need one for myself.
- Whose behavior merited celebration?My first born…we threw a lot of things at him this year including a new brother, a new big boy bed, preschool, and potty training. I think dude deserves a party.
- Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?People surprise you, take you off guard…but again, live and learn right?
- Where did most of your money go?Health insurance and related baby birthing expenses.
- What did you get really excited about?Introducing a new little guy into the world and seeing how nobody can make him smile quicker or bigger than his big brother.
- What song will always remind you of 2011? Moves Like Jagger, Hey Mama, and anything by Pistol Annies
- Compared to this time last year, are you: a)happier or sadder? Hmmm I’m not sure? More stressed?
b)thinner or fatter? THINNER! Yay! And not just because I had a baby, like thinner than before I got preggers. Let’s hope I can stay on this train…
c)richer or poorer? The same? Or would that mean poorer because we’ve added a kid into the mix?
- What do you wish you’d done more of?This is going to sound super lame, but reading…I hardly read anything this year and that sucks. Also, movie-going. I do miss my pre-kids weekly trips to the movie theater.
- What do you wish you’d done less of? Worry. Stress about things.
- How did you spend Christmas?Christmas Eve we combined my family and my husband’s and did dinner at our house. On the menu that night: beef enchiladas (made by me), beans (made by me), cilantro rice (made by my husband), skinny margs (made by my husband). Christmas Day we did our gifts/Santa in the morning and then went to my parent’s house for our traditional breakfast and presents, then home for the kids to nap and then went back around 4 for dinner and brought my husband’s mom along with us. It was a great day.
- Did you fall in love in 2011?I always answer this one very cheesily…yes with my family! Our new little one is just super cute and chill and our oldest just gets cuter and smarter and more fascinating every single day. And I’m very proud of my husband on the business front, he’s doing a super great job and I just couldn’t have asked for a better guy.
- What was your favorite TV program?I for sure continue to love The Good Wife. I definitely love Parenthood. And I’m totally addicted to watching Greek on Netflix streaming.
- Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?It’s a waste of time to spend energy hating.
- What was the best book you read?Like I said, I didn’t get to too many books this year. I did finish Black Heels to Tractor Wheels and Two Kisses for Maddy. And then I started a few others but haven’t finished them: All That is Bitter & Sweet, Waiting for Birdy, Seriously…I’m Kidding, and Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. I’ll get to them, hopefully this year.
- What was your greatest musical discovery?I continue to love Miranda Lambert and definitely love her new girl group Pistol Annies. And Martina McBride’s newest album is definitely different for her and I love the change, I’m back to being a fan. But in terms of greatest musical discovery? That has to be my 3 year old who has taken to singing and dancing and dj’ing for us nonstop lately. It has got to be the cutest thing I’ve ever seen…especially when he picks a song from my iTunes list and says, “Mama, I think you are gonna like this one…”
- What did you want and get?A healthy, happy baby boy.
- What did you want and not get?Nothing else matters…everything comes in its own time.
- What was your favorite film of this year?Without a doubt I loved Crazy, Stupid Love. And it wouldn’t be right if I didn’t throw in that I am still on the Twilight train and loved Breaking Dawn Part 1.
- What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?Blah! I turned 36 and I had a dentist appointment. Though the next weekend my husband sent me on an all day spa day. It was fabulous.
- What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?Hmmm, probably more sleep, less stress and worry.
- How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?Jeggings and Skinny jeans came into the mix! I’m late to the game…
- What kept you sane?I have no idea. Maybe deep breaths and taking things day by day?
- Who was the best new person you met?Well of course our new little guy. It’s amazing how in some ways he’s so different from our first and yet very, very similar.
- Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.“It’s important to remember that people are always doing the best they can, including you.”
- Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.Like I said earlier, we rounded the year out with a new baby and going out on our own business-wise, so I think this pretty much sums that up…
These Are the Days by Sugarland
“…And we wake up wondering what might happen next
Yeah, sometimes it feels like we won’t make it through
But the hard times pass like the good ones do
Baby, wrap your fingers and hold on tight
I’ll be right here beside you tonight…
…We’re making moments we won’t forget
We fill in ones that haven’t happened yet…”
Last year I took an idea of Whoorl’s to showcase a year of iPhone pics, so I’m going to continue with that and show you pics I took with my phone along with instagrams. It’s a little longer this year, but hey, I love my family! I hope you enjoy it! And I hope everyone has a very Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!